Most people would agree that sitting in their home by a nice fire on a cool crisp evening will most definitely warm the heart and home.
As the crackling of the logs brings us heat and delights our eyes and ears, serenity and peace fill our soul and troubles slip out of our minds. Fire is one of nature's most powerful elements and demands our utmost respect for otherwise, we may face serious consequences. It's ironic that although chimneys and fireplaces contain and control this force of nature, they are often the most neglected parts of the American home.
When a chimney is used, soot and tiny particles of unburned carbon and wood tar vapors called creosote, collect on the inside of the chimney walls. Average use, as little as one or two years will allow the buildup of these deposits to a dangerous level. When creosote gets hot enough, it will ignite a chimney fire. A chimney fire is extremely dangerous. In many cases, it will destroy the chimney and spread to the rest of the home. Every year, thousands of homes are destroyed this way. It's a situation that could have been avoided with regular inspections and maintenance done by a chimney professional.
Personally, I love the old tradition of the chimney sweep in his top hat and tails, who brings good luck with a shake of his hand, but I also take the chimney and fire safety business very seriously, which is why I've dedicated thirty years to establishing an honest, reputable, and complete chimney service.
Paul's Chimney Cleaning and Restoration is nationally certified through the Chimney Safety Institute of America and the National Chimney Sweep Guild.
In the spirit of evolving with the times, I've started this blog to provide the latest information, along with tips and topics related to chimneys and household exhaust systems. It's my sincere hope that you find these posts useful in order to ensure the safety of your families, and the continuous joy of home and hearth in your own little corner of the world.